Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cloth Diapering

So, my last post sparked some comments about cloth diapering, and I was instantly curious. I know a few people who do the cloth diapering thing, but in my head, when I thought about cloth diapering, I thought of folding those little white "burp rags," safety pins, ugly rubber pants, and a LOT of work. I've never even considered it. Sure, buying huggies and luvs was pricey, but they were easy. Well, after reading those comments about cloth diapering, I decided to google cloth diapers and see what came up. Really I was looking for a how to for folding them, cleaning them, etc... but what I found was really exciting!

Cloth diapering as come a long way from what I thought. What I discovered were all in one cloth diapers, one size that fits all, and they were WAY cute!! Here's some stuff that I found. The initial up front cost would be higher, but they are all guaranteed to last atleast 2 years, which is great.


These below are Bumkin diapers. They run from about $15 and up. Look at all the cute prints!These are BABY AIO cloth diapers. I found them on ebay.com. There's a how-to video at the bottom of the ebay page. I love these! This particular lot has them going for $8 a diaper. That's a great price! Free shipping as well.This one is a bumgenius cloth diaper. This one has a velcro closure and comes in many colors. Looks like they also start around $15 a diaper.




There is also "Baby Love" diapers:


Those are just a few different brands and styles of cloth diapers, to see more, just google cloth diapers. I don't know which type I will go with, I am thinking bumgenius? Let me know what your thoughts are and what type you would suggest! I am really excited about this! Also, if you do cloth diaper, how many would you suggest one to buy starting out?

Looks like washing them is pretty simple...some styles you just throw the diaper in the washing machine, some you remove a liner and wash, some you remove the padding and wash, but overall they aren't nearly has painstaking as I thought they were. I think during the summers I would even hang them outside to dry to be even more green!


PS If anyone wants to donate their cloth diaper for me to review it, I'd be happy to! LOL

3 comments:

  1. I'm going with only snap diapers. Velcro only lasts about a year to 15 months, but even then that is a long time. Then you have to decide if you want diapers that you stuff or diapers that you want to just use as covers with prefolds inside (better for newborns and cheaper since they pee and poop a lot more and changing an entire diaper, cover and all each time means you need a lot more diapers).

    My friends rave about thirsties diapers, apple cheeks diapers, and rumparooz diapers.

    Cloth diapers are their own little world haha. But the savings you get from disposables is immense. Plus babies in cloth get a lot fewer rashes, which to me is a huge plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kayce, I'm leaning towards snap diapers too. I'm even thinking about making my own as well, so I've been researching what patterns are popular to use and stuff, and I've even found a site that you can buy a snap setter thing for about $27, and then the snaps are relatively cheap for a ton of them, and I'll have other uses for the snaps besides making diapers. But I have yet found a pattern that I really want to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, forgot to tell you, there's a great cloth diapering forum to join... it's called diaperswappers.com. It's primarily a cloth diapering forum, but they have all sorts of categories, like a TTC forum, a pregnancy forum, and they have a forum for moms that even formula feed, so the community isn't a bunch of hardcore crunchies that will shun you for not breastfeeding.. although most of the moms are crunchy breastfeeders... but I like the fact they are not 'exclusive'. I remember you went to that fair and felt upset and frowned upon because of that particular issue. You can buy gently used diapers and this will actually cut down the costs of buying cloth diapers. They are super helpful and informative, and will answer any of your questions.. I think you'll like it there!

    If you sign up, they'll ask for who referred you.. put my username 'wambrita' down. :D

    ReplyDelete