Tuesday, August 2, 2011

IUD Woes...

So, just a warning, this post might not be fun for guys or anyone really who's not a fan of TMI. I will try to keep it to a minimum, but we'll see.

A month ago at my 6 week appointment I had an IUD put in. I went into the appointment not knowing what I wanted to do with birth control. A lot of our marriage has been spent TTC... more than half of it, and then add in 2 9-month pregnancies, and one 4 month pregnancy... we didn't really have a need for birth control. Now that I am in school, and about to enter the nursing program at my school that is very hard, we decided we can't have another till I am done with school.

I wanted something very effective, easy, and a low dose of hormones. Something that I could go off of when the time was right and get pregnant fairly soon.  So, the PA I met with and I decided a Mirena would be worth a try. So, I was able to get it put it in that day and it was 100% covered by my insurance! It hurt going in, like labor contractions, and it made me start bleeding.

I bled postpartum for 3 weeks and then I was done, until I got the IUD, and I've been bleeding since and it's been about a month. I've heard off and on bleeding is common, irregular periods, and cramping are normal, but for a month? Its so annoying!! I have felt like I have my period for a month straight!

So recent developments, I feel like I can feel the IUD. Only sometimes, but I can feel it poking my uterus. Is that normal? I am thinking about calling up my doc and having them check it...it would suck to not be in right and then I get pregnant because of it! It is annoying, because if it is in wrong, there goes my $800 birth control, and my insurance won't cover another one, so its back to the drawing boards. I am really hoping it's in...I suck at pill taking, and I refuse to take the patch or pill. Nuva ring doesn't sound too fun either. Ugh. What a pain...

In other news, Baby is doing great! 2 months old and growing like a weed! We moved him into his crib in him and his brother's room last night and he did perfect! Lets hope night #2 goes good too! I was kinda sad at putting him in there last night... I think I am very attached to this little one. I don't want him growing too fast since I know it will be a while till I have another. He's smiling and laughing and cooing now, and I just love him to death. I have 2 really great boys!

2 comments:

  1. That sucks!!

    Just as a different option though, NuvaRing isn't bad. You stick it in, leave it for three weeks, pull it out, put a new one in a week later. I used that before we got married and for three months after before we started TTC. It was before I even knew about my cycle and I thought all of that stuff was gross. My periods were lighter, you can't feel the ring at all, and even during sex you can't feel anything. A really low dose of hormones too, which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the mirena but unfortunately I don't know too much about it since mine fell out cuz it wasn't put in right at all. You're not supposed to be able to feel it though. (Spencer might during intercourse). I read that there are certain risks you get from it such as it tearing through your uterus or embedding itself to your uterus but I don't think that's common. The bleeding is normal though. You can bleed up to the first 3 months before your body adjusts.

    ReplyDelete