Saturday, November 13, 2010

To BF or not to BF?

Ok, so ever since I got a BFP my mind has been wheeling with plans. I originally wasn't going to use a crib (mainly because we had one for Cohen but never used it really..we used a bassinet and pack and play, he moved onto a twin bed at 18 months). So we sold our crib about a year ago, and my SIL has offered theirs to me. I have to say, I am excited to get some new bedding (gonna make my own) and decorate! Another thing on my mind was cloth diapering. And it's really not realisitic for me right now, I am so busy I don't think I would be able to do it, so I'll probably bite the bullet and use disposables. I've heard many people say they cause burns and rashes, but Cohen has never had a problem with either, so I'm not too worried about it.


I can't decided if I am going to breastfeed or not. Now save me the lectures that "breast is best" I KNOW that. With Cohen I tried and tried to breastfeed, and it just did not happen. My milk came in, but would not come out no matter how much help I got from LLL and the lactation consultants at WIC and at the hospital. So, we switched to formula and he thrived on it. I know breast is best, but I don't see a problem with formula. I really don't. I still got that "bonding time" with my little one, and DH got it too, because he was able to feed him too! He's always been super healthy and always digested it easily. And I can't help argue the convenience of it. Since I am in school and working, I would not have time at work to stop and pump every 3 hours to keep my supply up. I was able to take Cohen with me anywhere and feed him whereever.


I think I will try it again, we'll see what happens, but I am not against formula feeding, and I plan on buying a few cans here and there of formula, to build up stock before baby comes. So, this post isn't asking for opinions or comments, I dont need to hear them. I know it can be a touchy subject and some might see me as having selfish reasons for not BFing, but I don't. Like anything else regarding my child, it's my decision and I'll do whats' right for myself and my family.

2 comments:

  1. I will just say that I breastfed Gordon till he was 2 but we found out with Keagan that he was severly lactose intolerant and that the "breast" actually wasn't better for him. IT ended up being very wrong for him and made him really ill. So I stopped him at 9 months when we found that out. Sucks it took us that long. But you know what will be best for you and your family and you know that no matter if you try to breastfeed or not that as long as the baby is healthy and growing that is the only thing that matters. The lord will be there to help you as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl :) Mother always knows best and I know you are one of the best mothers out there. I'm gonna try to breastfeed with the upcoming baby and see if he/she latches but formula worked wonders with Samantha and you see how healthy and happy she is! I haven't ruled it out and will probably have a few formula cans stashed just in case. I read through ALL your postings and i'm still so excited for you!!! We finally got back into town so let me know if you need anything ok? It was awesome sleeping over that one night. Been so long since we had a sleepover LOL.

    ReplyDelete