Monday, February 28, 2011

Cloth Diaper Stash

So, FINALLY my diapers arrived today. They took forever to get shipped and finally they showed up on my door step today. Again, for those who may have missed it, we are cloth diapering this baby. And trust me, the cloth diapering thing has totally evolved from the dark ages, and they are actually quite easy (in theory, we'll have to wait until June to know for sure) but I feel very good about saving my family money, cloth being better for baby's bum, and also the environmental factor is a bonus. So, I unpacked my diapers and layed them out, and stuffed them, and took lots of pics to share. Now I'm not gonna try and convert everyone to cloth diapers, but I just wanna show you how they are nowadays...I had no clue until a friend mentioned it to me. So, first of all, here's the pics.
 This is a pic of my whole collection of diapers. There are 28 total here, and I have 2 more coming... There are 9 Ebay diapers (mainly the print diapers), and the solids are Kawaii brand diapers. On the far right, there is a stack of diaper covers, and 2 stuffed covers... there are 12 total of those. I will have 30 diapers total...

 These are all Kawaii...specifically, they are the Kawaii heavy duty microfleece diapers. Very soft and fit 8-36lbs. The way pocket diapers work is they have a fleece pocket (fleece against baby's skin wicks away moisture) and you put a microfiber insert into the pocket and put the diaper on like you would a disposable. When the diaper is dirty, spray it off (or use a flushable liner and flush it) and toss in the diaper pail. Then you put on a new diaper!
 My Neon diapers. :) Lime green and electric yellow. Won't loose this baby in a crowd!
 Now this one is a diaper cover. It's a little different from the others, as in there is no pocket to stuff. You just put an insert inside the folds in it (as seen below)... in theory you can reuse the cover more than once before washing because it does not get dirty, just the insert. We'll see how well that actually works. Below is the diaper cover open... I got 6 snap closure, 6 velcro closure, and one of each color (except pink).

 Here's my cloth diapering set up. I've got 2 baskets of pocket diapers, one of diaper covers, and a basket of cloth wipes. In the drawers to the right I have stored misc, supplies until I figure out where things will go. And to the left is my diaper pail...don't know if it will stay there or not, but inside it is a Kissaluv's antibacterial washable diaper pail liner, for the dirty diapers. I don't like it being so close to Cohen's bed, and on the other side it would be right next to the crib, so it might find a new home before long.
This drawer is all my inserts, I have microfiber and hemp inserts... different absorbencies and thicknesses. These go inside the pocket diapers, or lay into the covers. In the other drawer I have some basic old fashioned prefold diapers that can be used as burp rags or diaper inserts in a pinch. P.S. Don't you think my boppy pillow has the cutest pattern ever? (It's on top of the drawers).
 
One thing that might be a pain is washing them. They have to be washed in special detergent and have a cycle of a few rinses and washes, but I plan on line-drying them in the summer. The sun also helps remove any stains you might get. Seriously, the sun is a natural stain remover!
So, call me a weirdo, but I am very excited to start trying this. It may loose it's shiney new appeal once baby starts pooping in the diapers, but for now, it's just fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment