Monday, May 17, 2010

Try to find the silver lining.

I am a little bummed this morning. DH and I had a long conversation last night. We've dubbed Sunday nights to be our "discussion night" where we go over finances and the budget, and talk about anything else that we feel needs to be discussed. So we were looking over our quicken last night, and we became a little concerned.

DH works two jobs, and I am about to start school 3/4 time next week, plus we have a 2 year old. Our plates are pretty full. DH's second job has severely cut his hours (seriously, he's only worked 8 hours in the last two weeks) and we need him to be working the 20/week hours that he was promised in order to make ends meet. Needless to say, the outlook wasn't so great for the next few months, and while we would be ok, if we had to throw in more diapers into the budget, if for some reason I couldn't breastfeed again, we would have a hard time affording formula, and if for some reason our insurance didn't cover any of the cost (like with my son) we would be in a world of hurt.

So after a long discussion, lots of tears (on my end), some planning, and some prayer, we have decided not to have a baby at this point in time. I am devistated, but I am trying to find the silver lining. We still want one, and knowing it can only take a few months to get things situated again we aren't completely closing the door. We agreed that each Sunday when we go over our financial situation, we'll re-evaluate whether or not to try. That gives me a little hope that the door is not completely closed. It also motivates me to do all I can to fix things and make it so we can start trying again.

I went to bed last night a little angry. It just wasn't fair to me. Anytime we start making financial strides in the right direction, it feels like someone kicks us back down. We used to be very reckless with our money, but we've learned and are sooo much better with it, but yet it still feels like we are going nowhere. People get pregnant all the time when they can't afford the baby, and they turn to the government for help. I'm not saying that's wrong, but I just can't do that. It is an appealing idea to be able to do that, but maybe it's a pride issue, but I think other people need that more than us. I feel it is my responsibility to be able to provide for the children I bring into this world, because what if the gov't ceased to be?

So, yes, I went to bed angry last night. I think most of it was because I knew it was not a good time to have a baby, but yet I wanted it so badly I was refusing to see the long term perspective. I even said, and I am so ashamed to have said it, that "If God didn't want me to have a baby now, then he needs to stop making me feel like I should have one." I said it. I feel horrible, because that there is my problem. I am trying to pave my own path, when He already has one for me. I hate that it's not the time. I really do. So last night when I said my prayers, instead of asking for a healthy pregnancy, I asked to understand, and to have patience.

Though I am still upset about the decision, I feel that it is best. It is our job as parent to be financially responsible before bringing other life into the world. And I am not talking about being rich or anything, but able to meet the basic demands of having a family. I am ok with the decision. I know it is for the best, and I strongly feel like when it is the right time, I will have no problem getting and staying pregnant. It feels like something he's promised me.

There is a reason in all things, and I am starting to see that there is a lot I need to learn. This experience, these trials, they are for me right now, to teach me. So, I'm looking at the silver lining and I am going to grow from this. It will make me a better mom, wife and friend. I am facing these trials so that I can help someone in the future not endure them.

On a lighter note, I am a planner, and since I need something to plan, here is what I am going to take the time off from TTC to do:

1. Get fit. I WILL do the Jillian Michael's 30 Day shred. All 30 days.
2. Get my CNA license.
3. Change my diet. Reduce my meat intake, eat more veggies, and no soda. I am done!
4. MAYBE I'll go see a naturpath about a herbal regiment, but that's not a big issue right now.
5. Consider getting off my anti-depressants. I hate relying on a pill to feel good, but right now I am scared to get off them. I don't like myself off of them.

Sorry for the long novel post. It might be the last post in a while... I might blog about other things somewhat related to TTC, and keep you updated. So stay subscribed, that way you don't miss a thing!

2 comments:

  1. Valerie, it's not easy having to come to a decision like this, and I'm sorry that you had to do this. I'm proud of you though, because most people would not be able to selflessly come to this choice willingly.. even if they did put up a bit of a fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Val... I can't imagine what you're going through. I know things will work out though. You're so strong. Let me know if you need anything at all ok? I know I haven't been around much lately but you know me :) sometimes you've just gotta kick me in the butt and say "Hello? Earth to Linda!" Also, let me know if you need help with groceries ok?

    ReplyDelete