Thursday, April 29, 2010

Answers.

So I went and saw my new OBGYN today. I'd heard great things about him, and that he also has a special interest in fertility. I've wanted to see him for a while, but we just got insurance that he accepts, so I made an appointment as soon as I could! Today was my appointment and I went over my medical history with him, and we lingered on the topic of pregnancy and my 4 miscarriages and he was very surprised that I still had not had any tests done to see what is going on. I told him that my doctor basically would tell me to try to get pregnant and then they would see how my body handled it and he was not thrilled about that.

So he explained to me that new findings show that a 20% of repeat miscarriages are caused by clotting disorders like thrombophilia. Basically a clot forms in the placenta and eventually destroys the pregnancy. He said that since I had a 2nd trimester miscarriage it made it even more likely that this could be a problem for me. So they drew 8 vials of blood today and sent them off to the lab to be tested. If it does happen that I do have a blood clotting disorder, when I do get pregnant I get to take 2 shots a day of a medicine called heparin throughout the entire pregnancy and through postpartum recovery. Not looking forward to that, but if it gets me a baby I'm all for it. And this made me wonder, since I had my son and the only "complication" was mild preeclampsia onset at the end of my pregnancy, why wasn't this possible disorder a problem? He told me that it can not only be genetic, but acquired at later points in life, so I could have acquired it after my son was born, but that gives no explanation to my 2 miscarriages before him. Anyways, we'll know in about 3-5 days the results.

He also told me if I am not pregnant now, than once I start my cycle again to call and schedule an HSG test (
Hysterosalpingogram) which is where they inject dye into my uterus and it flows up the fallopian tubes and then they take an x-ray of it. They look for misshapen uterus, blocked tubes, or anything in the uterus like a fibroid, polyp, or scarring that prevents the embryo from properly implanting. He said sometimes the dye that is injected can clear out any blockages in the tubes, remove scar tissue, and basically aid in the process of getting pregnant. I heard it is a little painful and uncomfortable, but the results are usually pretty good- conception wise.

If all those come back normal we'll do a semen analysis, and then he suggests genetic testing to make sure neither of us have any genetic defects that are causing repeat miscarraiges.

Well, HOPEFULLY I am pregnant now, and these things will not be necessary. Well, except for the blood clotting thing, because if they came back positive I'd get on those shots right away.

I am very relieved, even excited at the chance to get some answers. Who knows, they all might come back normal and there's nothing wrong with me, but atleast this will remove any doubt! I am due to test a week from tomorrow and I am going to try with all my might to resist the urge to pee on a stick until then. We shall see! Wish me luck folks!

6 comments:

  1. That's great. It is really nice to have a doctor that actually listens and validates your concerns. I hope this will all help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you will be getting some answers soon and that you have a wonderful doctor that you can confide in and he will be able to help you. What wonderful news!! And here's top hoping you are pregnant right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that can help the blood clotting thing without the shots, even if you are pregnant now is a baby aspirin a day. Helps thin the blood and you don't have to stick yourself :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually my doc specifically told me not to do the baby aspirin thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! Ours here loves giving that advice to us that lose at least two babies in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Valerie! I had NO idea you've been facing SO MUCH heart-ache! I'm sorry to hear it. But, even in this, I DO believe that Father can make it for your good SOMEhow! You are a GOOD woman!

    ReplyDelete