Monday, April 5, 2010

Changes to our hospital baby wing


I was looking on the one of the local hospital's websites for a CPR class, and I found an article about the renovating and new construction that's going on at the hospital in the mother and baby department! I was really excited about this, don't ask me why! :)

Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center (EIRMC) was where my son was born. It was not my hospital of choice, since I had heard many horror stories of people contracting infections and such while in the hospital. Anyways, I ultimately made the decision to be induced there, mainly because of my fear of going into labor while the doctor I strongly disliked was on call. Anyways, it was a great experience at EIRMC. Everyone was great, and I thought it was a good environment to have a baby, and I felt safe. I do have to say it was much older than the hospital I had originally chosen to deliver, and it was a little smaller.

This new plan for EIRMC is adding on 24,000 sqft to the mother and baby unit, including revamping the NICU (Newborn Intensive care unit) so that it is the most technologically advanced in Eastern Idaho. There are a shocking 16 babies on average in the EIRMC NICU and it's only supposed to accomidate for half that. So, it will be bigger and better, and that brings good news to women who need a NICU, the chances of them having to have their babies lifelighted to Utah are way less. They also plan to add on 10 more labor and delivery rooms and remodel all the current rooms. It is supposed to take approx. 20 months starting this spring.

I don't know it it will close down that part of the hospital during remodel or not...there is another hospital right across the street, but their labor and delivery area is always full to the brim. Hmm. We shall see. Anywho, that was just exciting to me that they're revamping that stuff. EIRMC has gotten kinda a bad rep for things, but I think they do an excellent job, and they are more reasonably priced than many others in the area. I give it 4 stars! ****

No comments:

Post a Comment